Thursday, September 29, 2011

Wrapping


The 6th stage of Lamb's 8Ws is Wrapping.  In this stage, the learner examines the possible uses for the information.  The learner chooses, plans, and develops a final product. The learner also examines how the product will be used and who will use it.


Lamb's Wrapping stage can be compared to the synthesis stage of Eisenberg and Berkowitz's Big 6. In this stage, the learner organizes his information and determines how it would be best presented.  This part of the process is also part of Phase 4 (representing knowledge) of Macrorie's I-Search model. Macrorie's Phase 4 encourages learners to convey information about their questions, search process, learning, meaning, and references.  I did all of this when developing the website for my final product.  This stage could also be related to Stage 6 (search closure) of Carol Kuhlthau's Information Search Process.  In this stage, the learner concludes the search for information and prepares for presentation.  Kuhlthau predicted that learners will feel a sense of relief in this stage, and I definitely did!  I really enjoyed learning about Hindu weddings, but I'm definitely glad to have put together my final product and be done with researching for the time being!.


Since I began my inquiry, my goal has been to share my information with the family and friends that will be attending my brother's wedding.  Secondarily, I could share my information with others who will be attending Hindu wedding ceremonies or students who are inquiring into Hindu customs.  I'm a little wary of those secondary options, though, simply because my inquiry has been into the specific details of my brother's wedding, and he and his fiance have cut some traditional ceremonies and shortened others for time purposes.  Therefore, when sharing information with others outside the context of this particular wedding, I will need to be careful to specify that details vary from ceremony to ceremony, based on the personal choices of the participants.


To package my findings, I created a website, which you can view here.  It can easily be accessed by my family and friends who will be attending the wedding, and I explained my purpose on the front page, in case any other researchers run across it.


I developed the site using Weebly.  I found this site to be very user-friendly and easy to use.  I will definitely use it again in the future!  I located pictures to illustrate the various symbols and parts of the ceremony by using a Google image search.  Since many of my sources did not include pictures, I found these images to be especially helpful in illustrating the various pieces of the ceremony, and I think my viewers will as well.


I will send a link to my site to my family members (mother, father, stepmother, sister, stepsister, aunts, uncles, and cousins) so they can explore the information I have found.  I will also let my brother and his fiance know about the site, so they can direct any friends with questions there.




Baker, Katie.  Comparison of models.  http://virtualinquiry.com/inquiry/bakermodel.pdf. 


Callison, Daniel and Leslie Preddy.  The Blue Book on Information Age Inquiry, Instruction and Literacy.  Westport, Connecticut: Libraries Unlimited, 2006.


Lamb, Annette.  "Information Search Process (ISP)."  Information Age Inquiry.  https://oncourse.iu.edu/portal/site/FA11-IN-SLIS-S574-16409 


Lamb, Annette.  "Wrapping."  Information Age Inquiry.  https://oncourse.iu.edu/portal/site/FA11-IN-SLIS-S574-16409


Macrorie, Ken.  "The I-Search Paper: Revised Edition of Searching Writing."  Heinemann, 2011.  https://oncourse.iu.edu/portal/site/FA11-IN-SLIS-S574-16409

No comments:

Post a Comment