Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Weaving


In Lamb's "Weaving" stage, the learner synthesizes what she has learned.  In this stage, I organized my information by subtopics.  First, I looked at what information I had gathered regarding my initial areas of inquiry:

* Indian vs. Hindu

* language

* participants
* length
* clothing
* entry
* vows
* guest behavior
* symbols

From there, I realized that I needed to add another category: "elements of the ceremony."  Every source that I examined described various pieces of the ceremony, and it was initially very confusing to try to sort through what order these parts went in and, more specifically, which parts would actually be included in Brian and Lakshmi's ceremony.  To get organized, I decided to base my subtopics on a list provided in one of my print sources (Kanitkar), which had proved to be the most reliable.  Brian and Lakshmi's abbreviated ceremony will not include every element mentioned by Kanitkar.  It completely eliminates some elements, combines others, and even expands some.  Therefore, the subtopics I considered under "elements of the ceremony" were:
* Seemant Pujan
* Madhuparka
* Kanya-dana
* Mangalsutra
* Laaja Homan
* Mangal Pheras
* Asmaarohana
* Saptapadi
* Aashirvaad

To put all of this together, I made lists, talked to my brother and Lakshmi, and reviewed my sources over and over again.  While I'm usually a big "list-maker," I actually found this part of the project to be the hardest.  This was largely because different parts of the ceremony are have many alternate spellings, or are even called by different names.  Since I don't speak Sanskrit or any dialect of Hindu, and many pieces of the ceremony seem a bit repetitive to me, I had a hard time determining what was what at first.  

For example, the Kanya-dana can alternately be spelled "Kanyadaan" or "Kanya Danam" or translated as "Giving Away of the Daughter."  My brother had initially told me that Hindu ceremonies do not include a "giving away of the bride," so I was confused by finding all this information.  Follow-up on this question enabled me to learn that the translation is misleading, and it is more a "giving of the hand," in which the parents bless the marriage.

Lamb's "Weaving" stage can be likened to The Big 6's "synthesis" stage.  Here, the learner organizes her information.  This stage could also be included in Pathways to Knowledge's "interpretation" phase.  This includes integrating concepts; determining patterns; and synthesizing, organizing, and classifying information.  In Jamie McKenzie's "Research Cycle," this stage could be compared to "synthesizing," where the learner looks for patterns and rearranges information accordingly.


Baker, Katie.  Comparison of models.  http://virtualinquiry.com/inquiry/bakermodel.pdf

Callison, Daniel and Leslie Preddy.  The Blue Book on Information Age Inquiry, Instruction, and Literacy.  Westport, Connecticut: Libraries Unlimited, 2006.

Lamb, Annette.  "Pathways to Knowledge."  Information Age Inquiry.  https://oncourse.iu.edu/portal/site/FA11-IN-SLIS-S574-16409

Lamb, Annette.  "Weaving."  Information Age Inquiry.  https://oncourse.iu.edu/portal/site/FA11-IN-SLIS-S574-16409

No comments:

Post a Comment