Monday, September 5, 2011

Wondering

I am now entering the second phase of Lamb's 8Ws, the "wondering" stage.  In this stage, I focus on a specific topic, problem, or quesiton.  After selecting that topic, I connect my question to my own prior knowledge, organize my  ideas, and if necessary, narrow my topic.

I have decided to focus my inquiry on Indian/Hindu weddings.  While I'm really interested in all of the other topics that I considered as well, I think that this one is the most timely.  My brother's wedding will be held on October 22, so designing an inquiry that will be finished before that is ideal.  Here are some of the questions I'm considering.... although I'm sure that more will come up as I get into my research!

* What is the difference between an "Indian" wedding and a "Hindu" wedding?  Can it be one and not the other?  My brother says he thinks they are the same, but even he isn't really sure.

* What languages and/or dialects are spoken in India?  Which one will this ceremony be conducted in?

* Are there differences in the ceremony depending on what area of the country or what caste the participants come from?  If so, which details apply to the wedding I will be attending?

* Who conducts the ceremony?  Is it a religious figure?  If so, what are his/her qualifications and significance?

* Who else is involved in the ceremony?  My brother told me that unlike most American weddings, the bride and groom do not have attendants.  However, in the one Indian ceremony that I attended previously, there were attendants.  What causes these differences?  And are the parents involved?  Is there a "giving away" of the bride like in American ceremonies?

* How long is the ceremony?  I've heard everything from three days to a week for traditional ceremonies.  Obviously, my brother's will not be that long--it will be conducted in a matter of hours.  So what parts are cut or expanded to account for these time differences?

* What kind of clothing is worn?  My brother told us that Lakshmi will be wearing a sari and he will be wearing what he described as "a really nice bathrobe."  :)  What are the names of traditional clothing types?  What colors are they, and what is the significance to that?  What should guests wear?

* What does the entry or beginning of the ceremony look like?  My brother told us that in traditional weddings, the groom enters on an elephant, with the option of riding a horse instead in more modern ceremonies.  He is not planning on doing either, but instead having kind of a procession of some of the guests through the streets outside the hotel, probably while playing Indian instruments.  What is the significance of each of these things?  Who is expected to participate in my brother's procession?  And if all of these are options for the groom, how does the bride enter?

* What symbols are used in the ceremony and what do they mean?  In traditional American weddings, we use the symbols of a unity candle and wedding rings, among others.  Do these things have an equivalent in an Indian ceremony?

* In American ceremonies, the bride and groom speak their own vows, either writing personalized vows or repeating after the minister.  What do the vows look like in an Indian ceremony?  My brother doesn't speak the language, so I would imagine he'd have a hard time speaking a vow.

* How are guests expected to behave during the ceremony?  At the one Indian ceremony I attended before, I noticed a lot of native guests getting up and walking around, even socializing with each other while the ceremony went on.  Is that typical behavior?

My goal in all of this is to come to a point where I will understand the ceremony between my brother Brian and his fiance Lakshmi.  I want to be able to explain what is happening to my kids (and maybe even my husband, parents, and sister!) so that they can understand the significance and importance of the day.  I'm so excited for my brother and really like his fiance, and I hope that in learning more about this topic, I can come to more fully appreciate and participate in their celebration.

No comments:

Post a Comment